Ask The Charlotte Home Inspector

Your Charlotte Home Inspection Questions Answered!

Ask The Charlotte Home Inspector header image 2

Tips On Preferring Residential Home LED Light Bulbs

March 4th, 2012 · No Comments

You might have possibly applied LED light bulbs earlier, you just didn’t discover it. These set of lights are found in everyday systems such as TVs, tracks, remote controls, DVD players, and calculators. At present LED light bulbs are finding their importance into family homes, due largely to escalating energy rates. Regardless of its ubiquity, however, LED light bulbs designed for general home light bulbs are still reasonably new.

Many American homes work with typical incandescent and fluorescent light products, and use up about 25% of total power consumption on lighting alone. According to the US Department of Energy, the usage of new lighting technologies helps to reduce lighting power use in households by 50% to 75%. A greener and more cost-effective alternative is to use LED light bulbs, the most current advancement in home lighting fixture.

LED or light-emitting diode is a kind of semiconductor. LED bulbs had been first commercially initiated in laboratory test instruments, and only shortly in radios and phones. The main styles of LED lights are tiny, high powered, and custom tailored.

Quite a number of advantages comes along with using LED bulbs. As compared to fluorescent and incandescent light bulbs, LED bulbs just about 1/10 less power consumption. LEDs also last 50 to 100 times longer other than standard bulbs, or give 100,000 hours’ use as opposed to 10,000 hours for CFLs or compact fluorescent lighting. LEDs are even more compact in size and are harder. Because they are composed of solid state parts, LEDs are hard to deteriorate, unlike weak CFLs and incandescent bulbs.

Although LED bulbs for house lighting are relatively costly, it will save you dollars in due course because of lowered maintenance costs (a CFL bulb costs nearly $2, while an identical LED bulb can cost to you up to $100). LEDs also have the value over CFLs that they do not contain mercury.

A plethora of LED light bulb makes and layouts are available in the current market, so how do you know which to opt for? Listed here are some factors to keep in mind when shopping for LED bulbs:

Wattage. LED lights use less electric power than its fluorescent and incandescent bulbs. This indicates LEDs give a lot more light with lesser wattage. Just to illustrate, a 12.5 Watt LED bulb equals a 60W incandescent bulb. The package lists the brightness level.

Warm vs Cool Light. LED light bulbs are now accessible in many colors. Colored lights look festive and improve a deck. For basic home lighting, “cool” white LED bulbs are great for task lighting. “Warm” LED bulbs are qualified for accent illumination.

Dimming Capabilities. In contrast to compact fluorescents, LED bulbs are usually dimmable. These are excellent for the bedroom, hallways, or anyplace you want softer or sometimes mood lighting.

Base Type. Pin and the regular wall socket are two kinds of LED light bulb bases. Get a base type based upon intended use.

Quality. You can almost certainly find more inexpensive LED light bulbs on online sites or discount shops, but it’s best to buy from respected dealers to make sure that your LED bulbs last longer. High quality LED bulbs employ high quality chips and supplies.

Certifications. Check out LED light bulbs accredited by the FCC and UL.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: Unusual Findings

0 responses so far ↓

  • There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

You must log in to post a comment.